Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Word Vomit...warning..long post!

Okay, so I have had several people ask me how Mark and I are doing lately. At first I wanted to just put on my happy face all the time and just fake it till I make it with being happy, but the other day I came across a blog of a girl that I went to beauty school with who lost her 2 year old daughter over the summer. I love her blog because she is completely honest everyday about how she is feeling. I have heard too, that if I am honest about how I am feeling and express it, it will help more with the grieving process. So here it goes.......First off though, I want to say that there are so many times that the spirit comforts me, that my wonderful husband comforts me, that certain friends comfort me by just letting me vent, and that my family comforts me. There are lots of times that I feel very happy and that I am totally content with the fact that my baby is in the Spirit World being a great missionary and that he is needed there. But sometimes, okay, a lot of times, I am just sad!! I want him!!! How is it fair that Mom's who are on drugs or who don't want their babies can keep them but I cant. Even sometimes when I am not thinking about Miles I just feel like there is a huge cloud over me. And sometimes simple things overwhelm me. For instance, yesterday I called the hospital to talk to someone about getting our hospital bills set up on a payment plan and they kept transferring me to someone else, and no one had any sympathy for me. Not that they knew my circumstances but dang it, be nice to me!!! SO I got off the phone and I just lost it!!! It's just weird. I am definately going through a weird period in my life. After talking to grievance councelors and reading a book that the hospital gave us about losing your baby I have come to realize though that I'm not going crazy, that all these weird feelings are completely normal. So that makes me feel good. But I'm not going to lie, it's just hard! Everyone keeps telling me how strong I am and how well I am handling this trial, but a lot of times I feel like my head is barely above the water and I am treading so hard but I cant get any higher above the water. I tell you all this, not for more sympathy, but just so you know that if you see me and I randomly start crying, I am okay, I will get through this!!!! I read my scriptures this morning for about an hour and I feel really good today. Last night we went to the hospital to pick up more pictures of Miles and I thought it would be really hard, but it brought me great comfort! So even though this is hard, the Lord does comfort me!!! One thing I have learned through this too is that me and Mark grieve differently. He gets sad too, but I think because I am sad a lot, he is the one who feels like he needs to comfort me and he does an amazing job at that. That is one of the many blessings that have come from this trial, our marriage is so much stronger and we have so much deeper love for one another. I love Mark so much! He is so patient with me and always wants to do what makes me happy. And the feeling is always mutual! I can't imagine my life without him. I have also learned that there are so many good people in this world!!! I can't tell you how much love and support we have recieved through all of this! So even though this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through, and I would never wish it upon my worst enemy, lots of good things have come from it too. I am grateful for my life, we have so many blessings, just sometimes it gets hard for me to see them through the clouds, but they are there! I just have to keep looking for them!!!

4 comments:

Kristine Parker said...

You ALWAYS have me to vent to! Love ya Ash!

Hiatt Family said...

Ashley, I'm so sorry I haven't talked to you yet! I would love to get together with you! Seriously, I know that it would really help both of us. I think I have your number but I'm not sure. Can you email it to me? My email is anjanehiatt@gmail.com. I know what you are saying about all of it! I PROMISE it will get easier. I know that that makes absolutely no sense but time does heal in a way. It will never take the pain away, but it really does help. The two-year mark was key for me. After Jackson's 2nd bday (which was just this past September) things really changed & got much easier. I am not sure why. Also, everything you are feeling really is completely normal. I felt like I was crazy sometimes & even had to go on meds for depression for awhile. It helped though. I agree that it is best to let yourself feel things. If you don't, you will just bury those feelings & they will resurface later & be worse. I remember being extremely MAD about my situation for a week or two. I felt SO guilty being mad, but I let myself just feel it (obviously while trying not to take it out on others) & it helped a ton & I never really felt it after that. I have to say, I am so glad that you are experiencing the blessings that come out of this though. Nobody else will be able to have the bonds that we have with our husbands because we've gone through the death of our child together. It has made such a difference for Lincoln & I. I love you so much. I really think it is crazy that we both had our firstborn child die. It really is horrible. I know that we were meant to be friends Ash! Love you. Email me & I'll call you & we can talk more. Hang in there. I will pray for you!

Rob Dog said...

I loved this post! Sometimes it is just too hard to keep on the happy face! And let's be honest it's ok to be sad! In my experience, with some trials all you can do is keep your head above water! And that is good enough! Like you keep saying, we are so lucky to have the knowledge that we will be with our loved ones again! I don't know how people cope without that blessing and knowledge! Anyway keep updating! I miss ya and wish we were close enough to go to lunch!! tell everyone hi for me!

Brandis said...

Is it weird that I enjoyed your word vomit? Really though, I appreciate that you didn't sugar coat the way you're feeling. You have the right to feel how you feel and to not have to try to make everybody else feel better. You're doing a great job, keep hanging in there! Your Christmas & anniversary posts were cute. :)