Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Domestic Diva!



I am proud of myself. I know it's wrong to have pride, but I can't help it, I am just dang proud of myself!! While I was on the hospital we moved into a basement apartment by the temple and i decided that it was time that I learned how to be domestic. For those of you who know me well, you know this is a huge deal for me. I don't know how to sew, cook, and all the "normal" homemaking stuff a wife should know how to do. How did I get my husband to marry me? I think he was just blinded my amazing beauty or something. Ha ha. Just kidding. But seriously, his Mom is an amazing seamstress and cook so growing up with that and then marrying me i think has been an adjustment for him. Anyways, back to my domesticness. So I decided I need to learn how to cook and sew and since we live below Mark's sister and her hubby we decided I would cook once a week for us and their family. I have already done it 2x's and I can't tell you how accopmplished I feel when I make a whole meal for a family. It also made me realize I'm not as cooking-challenged as I thought i was. I also decided I wanted to make all of my own cutrains for the house. My mother-in-law offered to do it for me, but I wanted to do it so I could say I made them! So here is a pic of my curtains I made for the Kitchen! I think they turned out pretty good and look good in a kitchen that was made in the 1920's. I know those of you who are really domestic divas probably think that cooking once a week and sewing curtains that just required sewing in a straight line is not a big deal, but I am DANG proud of myself!!! Now I need to pray to be humble. ha ha.

9 comments:

Maren said...

ash, thats so great! love the curtains, nice job. watch out martha stewart, here comes ashley! and how fun to live below family.

Natalie said...

Ashely,
Hi! It's Branson's Mom, Natalie. I have spent some time today reading some of your posts and learning more about your darling little family! Miles is just beautiful, thank you for sharing your pictures with us. When Lorretta told me about your sweet little guy my heart just hurt so bad, I knew what lay ahead of you in the next few days, weeks, months, and I am sure years to come. My husband and I have thought of you often and kept you in our prayers. I actually asked Loretta to get me your address because there are a few things that I would love to send to you. However, amidst there own heartbreaking journey, she may have forgotten to completely follow through. So, I would love to have your address if you feel comfortable sharing it you can email it to
ncnataliecall@gmail.com
I would love to chat with you anytime! Sending lots of love your way...
Natalie

Patty said...

Hey Ashley, I will email the picture to your mom. Or I can to you if I knew your email. But, I must confess I found it randomly on the internet. I loved it too and WANT it for my house!

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling the same thing....the pressure of knowing how to do wifely mommy type stuff. You are doing way better than I am though, thats for sure. Your curtains look awesome! I want to see more pics of your cute apartment. (I'm jealous of anyone who has their own place)

Tara said...

Those are awesome! I also have a very perfect mother-in-law...it's a good thing she is willing to share her wealth of knowledge! We miss you guys and hope you are doing well.

Brandis said...

Way to go, Ashley! :) Those are very cute curtains and I'm sure your cooking skills are just fine. You have kept yourself & Mark fed for over a year now, right? :)

aprilhoyt said...

I love them!! They are very cute!! and I totally understand about the domesticness...it took me a few years, my hubby did a lot of the cooking at first!

Hiatt Family said...

Oh I am so proud of you! I would be VERY proud of myself if I sewed ANYTHING! I sewed a pair of boxer shorts once in home ec & they ended up being so short & ugly, I never wanted to sew anything else again! I know what you mean too, about having your husband grow up with a domestic mom. Being from a small town, Lincoln saw a lot of that. I'm sure one day we will both be the most domestic girls around. :)

Rachel said...

Cute curtains. I try to be domestic, i don't know how good it turns out though :)