Friday, April 3, 2009

Tender Mercies

I haven't posted in a couple weeks, so I decided it was about time. I don't really have anything exciting that has happened lately, but I have been feeling so many emotions lately that I wanted to share. For the last while I have just been bitter. Bitter about everything with Miles. Even though deep down I knew it had nothing to do with this, I just couldn't believe Heavenly Father would let something so bad happen to me. I thought that since I tried to be a good member of the church, served a mission, married a returned missionary, etc, that why would he "punish" me with taking Miles away from me. Not that I am that great at being a good member of the church or a great missionary, but I do try. Anyway, after feeling bitter and even having a hard time being in Young Womens where we were having lessons about Motherhood, being a good Homemaker, etc, I had a breakthrough! Heavenly Father showed me the great amount of Love He has for me.

While we were in Washington, we had the opportunity to talk with the Bishop of the Royal City 1st ward and his wife. In talking with them, we found out they lost their first baby boy, who had to be born at 25 weeks because her water broke, and he only lived for 7 days. It was crazy how our circumstances were very similar. They have gone on to have 5 more kids, every pregnany being totally and perfectly fine! That was music to my ears! I just needed to meet someone who had gone through what we had and know that things will be okay. I felt like it was a Tender Mercy from the Lord that we were able to talk to them and we exchanged info so I can e-mail them anytime I need to talk.

Then the next Sunday, we had Stake Conference. That morning I woke up feeling a little down and just pleaded with Heavenly Father that someone would say something that I would know would be just for me. We had a visiting General authority, aa member of the 70 named Elder Webb who spoke last. For 45 minutes he talked about how even though we may be trying our best to be good members of the church we will still have major trials and feel major pain. He said that he felt strongly that he needed to talk on that subject that day. As soon as he started talking I knew that Heavenly Father was aware of my trials and the extreme amount of heart ache and pain I have felt over the last few months. I balled all through his talk that even my shirt got all wet! And even now as I type this and remember how I felt that day, I cant help but cry!

After those 2 experiences I felt like I came alive again! I Feel like I am starting to be myself a little more again and that I am not totally defined by my experience of losing Miles. I am starting to feel the spirit again and to be happy! I know that Heavenly Father loves me and that somehow, I'm not sure how, but I think I am starting to allow the Atonement to work in my life. I feel a little bit like my heart is healing. I am starting to love to be around kids and babies and cant wait for the day I can bring my next baby home. (Okay, I can wait, but it will be a happy day). Last night I was picturing in my head delivering my next baby and having the doctor place that baby in my arms and just crying because I am so happy to have a happy, beautiful, healthy baby that I can take home and love. I cant wait to have the experience of rocking my baby to sleep and having them cuddle up to me and get a huge grin on their face when I walk in the room. I watch our nieces and nephews be that way with their parents and I can't wait to have that feeling! Dont get me wrong, I still get sad a lot, like last night I just missed Miles and am sad that I dont get to hug and cuddle him for the time being, but I feel like when I feel down, it's not as bad or for not as long. I am starting to feel happiness more often than I feel sad. I no longer feel the need to talk about Miles all day long to everyone I see. I still do want to talk to him, but I dont feel the need to talk about him to remember how much I love him. I love my baby boy so much, and I am so grateful to know that if I do my best, I will be able to rock him to sleep, cuddle with him and see him light up when I come in the room. I will just have to wait a while. Before I didn't think I could handle that, but i think now that I can with the help of the Atonement and Christ!

7 comments:

Hiatt Family said...

It really does help to talk to someone who has been through the same thing. I'm glad you were able to have those experiences. One thing that really helped (and continues to help) me is to think about the fact that he is safe. If you ask any parent, I'm sure all they want is for their children to be safe, happy, and to make good choices. Well, we know that our boys are all three of those things! I know that definitely doesn't take away the pain, but it is comforting. Love you!

Brittanie said...

The bishop of my last ward had lost his second son, and he and his wife did a world of good for me. I felt like there was a reason I needed to be in that ward, but it wasn't until I had been there several months that I realized it was because I needed him and what he could teach me. Isn't the love of our Heavenly Father wonderful? I'm so glad you were able to have that breakthrough. It took me quite a bit longer.

((hugs)) to you.

Dahly Mama said...

Had me a little cry and melancholy walk and run this morning, thinking about 4 months ago today! I kind of ran through the feelings (sad as well as the strong spirit and comfort we all felt that day Miles died!) Like we were talking about the other day, seems like it happened a year ago. And yet my feelings and sadness still feels raw and somewhat new. And a month ago yesterday with Grandpa. But your 'tender mercies' were given not just for you. Loved your post here. And love you and Mark and MIles a ton!

Natalie said...

The Lord truly is amazing at recognizing our needs and doing all he can to help us see that he's there with us every step of the way. I think that often he signs, seals and delivers messages and moments like those just for us...it's just one of the ways that he can help us remember how special we are to him, and what potential we have as daughters of God.

....okay...wait a minute...royal city washington? Did you grow up there? My aunt, uncle and cousins all live there and I have been there many times to visit. Please...do tell :)

Ralae said...

Thanks for sharing some of your innermost thoughts. I know I was uplifted by your post. I loved conference today. I felt like both Pres. Monson's talk and Elder Holland's were geared towards people who are experiencing trials similar to yours. I hope conference brought you some sort of peace as well. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I am keeping you in my prayers.

aprilhoyt said...

I know losing my mom isn't quite the same as losing a son, but I know what you mean about being bitter and wondering why...it took me a lot longer than you to find the peace, and still feel like God loved me...so good job!! :D

Deena said...

Thanks Ash for sharing your feelings, and testimony on "Tender Mercies". I don't know why we're always surprised by them, cuz the Lord always provides them...but it is awesome when that realization hits you, isn't it? Love you, Mark and Miles and love reading your thoughts!