Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Come What May, and Love It
So after feeling sorry for myself all last week and after reading and re-reading my post from last week, I kept thinking to myself, "okay Ashley, it's time for an additude change because you can't keep feeling sorry for yourself all your life and feeling like it wasn't fair that your baby was temporarily taken away from you." But the problem was, I couldn't get myself out of that funk! I kept praying and praying to know what I should do to not keep getting jealous of other people and to not keep getting sad or upset that this horrible thing happened to me. Because the crazy thing is, it that SOOO many wonderful blessing have come to Mark and I since Miles passed away that were obviously from a Loving Heavenly Father that I was just being dumb thinking things like, "How come this had to happen to me?" So Sunday morning I prayed that I would feel the spirit at chruch and that I could get over this self pity stage. In Relief Society the lesson was on Elder Worthlin's talk, Come What May, and Love It, and it was totally an answer to my prayers. Also, my favorite RS teacher was the one who taught it. I had actually read this talk many times while being on bedrest and in the hospital it just never hit me like it did on Sunday. I learned 2 great things on Sunday after that lesson and then going home and re-reading that talk. #1: When people say we need to be grateful for our trials and "love them" I always say, "uh huh, you are right" but deep down I think, "how in the heck in the moment of dispair and absolute depression right in the middle of a HUGE trial can you be grateful for it?" Elder Worthlin addresses this perfectly. He says, "How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't-at least not in the moment. I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneatha cloak of pretented happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life". It was exactly what I needed to hear because I always was confused about how to feel grateful for trials without acting fake. So I realized it's okay to feel sad and depressed sometimes but that if we react in a good way to a trial we will be much happier. So at that moment it changed my whole outlook on "my trial". The other thing that stuck out to me is when he talks about the Priciple of Compensation. I always have known that Heavenly Father will compensate us for our losses, but I never thought of it as a principle of the gospel. It's AMAZING!! The Lord WILL compensate the Faithful for EVERY loss!! my favorite part is where he says, "While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a HUNDREDFOLD with tears of rejoicing and gratitude". A Hundredfold! Isn't that amazing? SO as sad as I have felt some days since losing Miles, I WILL feel a hundred times happier one day. It hit me SO hard when I heard that in RS on Sunday. Even as I read it again now as I write it, I can feel the Spirit confirm that to me again. So as of right now, I don't feel sorry for myself because one day, when I have my sweet little Miles again, it will be a hundred times better. P.S. sorry...this was a really long post!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Remember Ash,
mourning is a process. And it's good that you can see and evaluate where you are as you go. I'm proud of you Ash, you are doing great!
love you!
What an awesome talk. When I heard it, I had just finished running the St. George marathon so at the time, the whole thing was funny to me because on mile 18 when it was still pouring rain & freezing cold and I had 8 miles to go, I was SO not loving my trials. :) All joking aside though, I really appreciated the change of perspective that Elder Wirthlin gave in this talk.
That was beautiful Ashley. Thanks for sharing that.
Thanks for sharing your perspective on Elder Wirthlin's talk. I love how 1 talk can have such different meanings and inspiration to different people, and even be different, each time we read it. And when we share our feelings and perspectives, it helps and lifts others...
I think you're doing great Ash - love you lots!
You know, it's been nearly 3 years since my first daughter was stillborn, and I've been thinking about this a lot. How can I be grateful that I don't have her? I realized that I while I truly wish she could instead be with us, I'm very grateful for the woman that I have become through my experience with her. In the end, she taught me so much more than I can even express, and I really don't think I could have learned it any other way. So am I grateful my daughter died? No. But I am grateful for who I have learned to be. I'm grateful for the growth in my testimony I received through leaning on my Savior during my most difficult times. But I don't think I'll ever be grateful for the pain of it. (hugs) to you.
Ashley, I got to your blog through Amy's. I read the talk that talks about compensation and loved that too. That really helped me during a trial I was going through. There is a book called "The Quiet Heart" by Patricia Holland that talks about this too. It is a very good, comforting book to read anytime but it especially might be helpful to you now.
-Amber
I was blog hopping and came upon your blog. I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet boy. This is a hard road to travel. If you ever want to talk just email me. Hang in there .
Jen Larsen
kampers2@gmail.com
Dear Ashley,
My heart goes out to you and your sweet husband at the loss of your dear son, Miles. I can tell you that great blessing come from such trials and when we look back it makes us want to be better so we can have them again someday . . . even 34 years later . . . I still find comfort in that thought. Be still and know that all will be well. Besides it says "It came to pass . . . not it came to stay"
Hugs, Nancy
Just want you to know, from an LDS mom who has buried two children, your sorrow will become sweet. It takes time. Having a child called home raises the bar for you in this life. It truly changes your perspective on what is important. It puts you on a new level. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Mary B.
Post a Comment